These are not your typical hot chocolate cupcakes. They look innocent enough but they have a surprise you’ll never forget. Yes, they are a chocolatey, marshmallowy, delicious treat but with an unexpected kick. The “hot” comes from the addition of cayenne pepper. It’s not so hot you need a glass of milk at the ready. Rather they warm your mouth gradually & make for a fun party when friends start wondering what’s going on in their mouths.
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Icing
- Devil’s Food Cake Mix + 1 tsp cayenne pepper
Yes, I bake my cakes from box mixes. Why? Because it’s impossible to make a cake that stays moist from scratch. I worked in a professional cake shop & every cake was made from Pillsbury cake mix. It’s the dirty secret no one talks about. You’re welcome.
Hot Chocolate Cupcake
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 1 tsp cayenne
- Prepare Devil's Food as instructed on cake box. Add cayenne.
- Make Italian Meringue. Set aside a small amount of meringue to be used later.
- Fill a large piping bag with a large tip with meringue and pipe "poofs" on parchment lined pan.
- Toast with butane torch until golden. Be careful not to light parchment paper on fire.
- Place in a preheated 200 degree oven and let dry for several hours. Overnight is best.
- Using a small dollop of the unused Italian Meringue, adhere the toasted meringue to the cupcake.
- Italian Meringue “Marshmallow” Frosting
This has to be piped as it’s very sticky. You can also pipe it out in “poofs” on parchment paper and dry them in the oven for several hours at 200 degrees. Before they go into the oven, I toast them with a butane torch. Way easier to do it before they go on the cupcake (cupcake liners tend to catch fire. Don’t ask.) I then use a small amount of Italian Meringue to adhere the toasted meringue to the cupcake. It makes for a really great crunchy, creamy, cayenne chocolate cupcake experience.
You’ve got to try my chocolate chip Pumpkin Muffins too!